Tuesday, January 6, 2009

November, The Birthday Month

November is the most popular birth month in my extended family. We've got Nov. 5th, 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 20th, 22nd, and 24th covered. Note the abundance of Scorpio energy!

November rolls around and there is much to celebrate and I do, but November also makes me pause a little and reflect...

Many years ago, when my daughter had just turned 1yr old, I realized I was pregnant again. The news was so unexpected and abit of a shock because conceiving my daughter took time and required intervention. But, I was definitely pregnant, feeling completely exhausted and constantly nauseous! After getting over the shock, my husband and I were delighted and began wondering the gender of this new life and anticipating a November due date.

We had almost made it to the end of the first trimester when I began to bleed and a heartbeat could no longer be found. More shock, but now it was coupled with grief. I was now a member of the vast club of women who have miscarried.

I have been so blessed in my life and I have two really wonderful kids. When November rolls around I don't really dwell on what might have been or go back to the 'what if I had done this or hadn't done that' thinking that was a part of my grieving. But... there is a place in my heart and a knot in my throat that calls me to reflect and to whisper "Happy Birthday!" to the little spirit that was with me for a short while.

No comments: